Frogs' Legs Aren't Funny

The download of my daily (almost) thoughts and ruminations.

Thursday, December 07, 2006

Catching up!

Well, tonight I had dinner with an old friend, one I hadn't seen for over a year. Turns out she just lost her job (severance) about a month ago and she is also a recent grandma like me so we had lots to talk about. We have always described these conversations, as "he said, she said" because we always want to know all the details of any event the other one experiences. We talked for three hours so we went through plenty of details.

We talked about our various travels, my recent cruise to the Mediterranean and hers to Hawaii (Kauai). I spent mine walking on cobblestoned streets and she spent hers hiking into their mountains. At one point, she and her husband hiked down a 1,700 foot incline then had to hike back up. She said when they got back to the lodge, they had crusted salt all over their faces from the sweat and the sea air. Sounds like fun to me! Actually, I think I'll take my flatter sightseeing walks through ancient ruins and just look at her pictures of Kauai.

So, today was the 65th anniversary of Pearl Harbor Day. I wonder if anyone has ever tried to add up all the wars that have occurred over the centuries, at least those that were recorded. Then, I wonder if anyone has ever added up the casualties from those wars. Just imagine if everyone had always gotten along, no one had ever been greedy for land, power or wealth or intolerant of others beliefs and none of those wars had been necessary. We probably would have overpopulated the planet much earlier than we actually did. In fact, that would be an interesting study, to try to anticipate the affect of no wars at any time in our history.

There would still have been natural disasters and phenomenon that would have eliminated some of the population but it would have been a very different history. I wonder how much faster we progressed, in an industrial way, because we had to come up with faster and better ways to build weaponry and large conveyances. A fascinating topic and one I'm sure someone else came up with long before me. Who knows, maybe some day I'll actually have time to research something like that. I can't imagine having that kind of extra time.

In fact, I really need to head to bed so I can be up and at 'em early in the morning. We will be visiting with friends tomorrow night at least so I'll have that to look forward to throughout the day. I'm healthy, I'm enjoying my work right now even if it is driving me to an early grave, I have wonderful family and friends, I love having the house decorated for the holidays and entertaining at Christmas and the sun was shining today so I had my car washed. What could be better? Oh, the cat (Mrs. B) just said, "Winning the lottery," well there's always one in every crowd. Bon chance!

2 Comments:

At 10:50 PM, Blogger kara said...

This sounds more like a Thanksgiving post.

 
At 10:15 PM, Blogger The Future said...

I don't know where in the world you get that out of this.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home