Frogs' Legs Aren't Funny

The download of my daily (almost) thoughts and ruminations.

Thursday, November 27, 2008

From Thanksgiving to Christmas Greetings

I just completed my newest version of our annual Christmas letter. I have to say I think this is my favorite so far, I didn't only write it, the verse just sort of appeared, I also designed it so I don't have to go buy any ridiculously expensive, fancy Hallmark computer paper. I'm feeling pretty smug about now. However, when I think about the fact that I have to decorate, wrap, watch Christmas movies, print out the Christmas letters and prepare Christmas cards this weekend, oh and don't forget writing three performance reviews (why would I want to only do things I enjoy?), I may just have to forego sleeping. I have to get it all done this weekend though because I want to enjoy the holiday season for a change and if I have to cram any of this into that I will be majorly stressed. I've lined up alot of entertaining dates at our house this week and I expect to enjoy them all.

It all starts with a baby shower then a brunch at a waterfront hotel with an old friend, brunch here with friends the next week, my manager and coworkers and their spouses here on Wednesday night, the 17th, the entire family over on Saturday, the 20th for Christmas Eve Eve (an annual event), out to my friends early afternoon on the 21st and back here for my, mother-in-law and stepson and his family that evening, then of course the typical Christmas Eve and Christmas Day festivities. We still have one more date to make with my good friend and her family and then we'll be set. I love this time of year!

I watched some of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade today and was amazed at how high tech it is now compared to "Miracle on 34th Street" days. The event was jam-packed with high-powered performers, it is so much more commercialized now. A Macy's commercial played a number of little snippets from classic movies over the years where the characters were talking about shopping at Macy's, it was very clever and really reinforced how much has changed.

But my favorite commercial was 8 silver Mercedes Benz sedans driving down both sides of a two-lane highway about 50 mph through the middle of a forest at dawn through the mist with Santa in a red Mercedes Benz sports convertible bringing up the rear, chuckling, "Ho, Ho, Ho!" Very clever although I can't imagine why they think they need to advertise; I don't know anyone who buys a Mercedes because of a commercial they saw on tv.

I'm just thankful we live in a country that recognizes the importance of making a day of thanks a holiday.

1 Comments:

At 8:14 PM, Blogger kara said...

geez mom, it's only the first week. you're filled with christmas insanity. i want presents.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home