Frogs' Legs Aren't Funny

The download of my daily (almost) thoughts and ruminations.

Sunday, June 17, 2007

I told you so...

Today has been a day for cliches, idioms, colloquialisms, jargon, etc. and it all started with, "you'll hurt yourself running with scissors". I haven't read it yet but I will however my mother-in-law did (in one day) and was very disturbed/amazed/overwhelmed by it. Enough that I know I will read it to see what the commotion's all about.

But of course, this is only one of many old wive's tales and other oddities that exist within our bizarre and complex language.

So then I started thinking about all the other wierd sayings we have heard over the years as we have grown up. There is always the famous (as narrated by a grown Ralphie)..."you'll shoot your eye out!"

There is also the predicament we frequently find outselves in when we didn't plan ahead. Actually, there are a number of sayings that represent this situation, here are just a couple...
"a day late and a dollar short," or




"up the creek without a paddle!"


I'm sure you have also heard, "a stitch in time saves nine." That one's wierd too.


Then there's my personal favorite, "the faster I go, the behinder I get", you've got to love that English.

Or how about, "your eyes are bigger than your stomach?" That's a pleasant thought.

Then there's the phrase, "if you build it, they will come?" Is there anyone who doesn't know where they heard that one?



How about "take a powder," as My Little Kitty is doing here?

Lastly but not leastly, would be you've got to be "pulling my leg!" Or, to put it correctly, "it's pulling my leg you are!"


This blog was brought to you by the idioms of America, and they are many.

2 Comments:

At 11:56 PM, Blogger kara said...

it takes one to know one...or something.

 
At 4:19 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Two in the bush beat one in the haystack.

Beggars like to ride horses.

An apple a day is yummy.

If the shoe fits, buy it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home