Frogs' Legs Aren't Funny

The download of my daily (almost) thoughts and ruminations.

Sunday, June 03, 2007

I Said I Would

Last night I told Kara I was going to blog about her new found propensity for spinach. I am of the belief that she comes by this honestly because since before she was 2 years old, her favorite thing in the entire world was Popeye (with Richard Dawson on Family Feud coming in a close second...whenever he pointed to the answers and said, "Survey said", she would pound on the tv and giggle like crazy, I wrote him a letter telling him about it and he sent her an autographed photo). This was so clear to all who knew her that we made a special effort to give her a Popeye theme on her 2nd birthday. This included a Popeye cake, t-shirt with a glittery Popeye on it, a Popeye gumby-like guy and I think I even found a balloon with his image.

But even with this infatuation with Popeye, (he truly was her idol) she wouldn't touch spinach. Now I'm not sure when this tide began to turn but I sat at dinner last night with her at a cool southern food kind of restaurant on Alberta and watched her eat almost an entire plate of sauteed spinach like the one here. Please keep in mind she hated mushrooms when she was little; still does, she hated brussel sprouts; still does, she hated beets; still does, so how could this 180 degree reversal have come about if not for the lifelong influence of good ol' Popeye? Who says cartoons aren't good for you. Here's proof positive right here!

2 Comments:

At 11:02 AM, Blogger kara said...

He still is my hero. Kansas looks just like him, too.

 
At 9:49 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

You forgot to mention how she used to call him "piepie"...none too bright, was she?

Joking! Love ya, sis.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home