Frogs' Legs Aren't Funny

The download of my daily (almost) thoughts and ruminations.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Focus on Food

  • Have you noticed when you go out with friends it's all about the food and drinks?
  • When you go to visit family, it's always centered around a meal?
  • When you go on a cruise you register in advance for your meal times?
  • When you are in a rush to go somewhere and really hungry you have to grab something
  • fast, which is generally going to be of the fast food variety?
  • When it's time for the holidays, the major question everyone has is, "whose house are we
  • going to eat at"?
  • When you sit down for a drink somewhere, they bring you something starchy to
  • munch on?
  • When you're in Las Vegas you're always looking for a great buffet to eat at or for another "free" drink?
  • When you're sitting on the airplane, they give you some random starchy snack?
This is telling me that food has become the center of our universe (or mine anyway). If anyone remembers the old tv show, "Ellery Queen", the character played by Jim Hutton, he was totally my idol. He was so focused on figuring out who the killer was each week, food was picked up, laid down and completely forgotten because he had gotten onto the trail of some brand, new clue. His work was so important to him, food took a backseat (everything took a backseat for that matter). I want so badly to be that busy that food is there when I have to have it but otherwise I simply don't think about it. I don't want any extra weight on me anymore, it takes very few pounds for me to experience back pain, not to mention not being able to wear my clothes. AND I REFUSE TO BUY LARGER CLOTHES!

I can tell as I get older that I need to seriously limit my intake because there simply isn't anyway to burn it off anymore, no matter how much I exercise. I need to be lean and mean when it comes to what passes my lips.

Food in general has become far too important and central to our society. Something about food and/or drink has become the focal point of all that we do. I am officially going to draw the line at eating something I don't like, feeling like I have to finish everything on my plate, ordering an appetizer and an entree, ordering a salad and an entree, ordering an entree and dessert, ordering dessert at all, etc. It feels good just to document all this, the hard part will be making it a reality. I've started to work out quite a bit so I'm hoping that keeps me on the straight and narrow, definitely the narrow. I want to be here to see grandbabies grow up to be smart, accomplished, wonderful human beings. And I don't want them to see me as some slug who never gets off the couch. I want to be active until I drop. That is going to take commitment and more willpower than I've probably had to have before now. I'm not going to say, "we'll see" because I'm doing this. So there!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home