Frogs' Legs Aren't Funny

The download of my daily (almost) thoughts and ruminations.

Thursday, April 05, 2007

What Do I Think?

I just finished watching Shopgirl (from this point referred to as SG) and I'm trying to decide what I think (thanks, Kara). The subject of the story is blatantly obvious but it's the relationships she has that are interesting to me. I know there must be countless morals to the story so I'm going to run through all the possibilities.

Now if you've seen the movie you can feel free to disagree with me or better yet, post some of your own ideas. That's the cool thing about movies, books, music; it's the viewer/reader/listener who gets to decide what it means to them, no one can dictate that. And there is no wrong answer...
  • Things are not always as the seem.
  • Never judge a book by its cover.
  • Listen to what is actually being said, not just what you want to hear.
  • Sometimes less is better.
  • You don't really value what you had until it's gone.
  • Love is to be shared; one way relationships will fail.
  • Enjoy the moment, you never know what tomorrow will bring.
  • Listen to your heart.
  • Material things are no substitute for true love.
  • Don't follow the advice of others, be true to yourself.
  • Make a choice and stick with it.
  • Footloose and fancy free.
  • Being with someone young makes you young.
The story opens with SG looking for love in all the wrong places so sure enough she finds the first one in a laundromat. His name is Jeremy and he's so weird he's almost scary...he actually looks alot better here than he does in real life, I think it's the significantly reduced size of the picture. So they're going along but she never really gets him (because he's dancing to a different drummer) so then all of a sudden, this old guy (Steve Martin) puts the moves on her at work.

It's never really clear how that happened, all of a sudden he's just there buying her stuff and miraculously getting her address to mail packages to her. I guess you could say there's a weird side to him too. Anyway, there's alot more that happens, it was just a different movie and I felt the need to jot down my thoughts on it.

Since Steve Martin wrote the novella it was based on, and it was produced by him, and he starred in it, I'm assuming he chose the cast. It almost felt a little along the lines of "Lost In Translation". Definitely a midlife crisis book, in my opinion. Gotta be free to be me. Whatever. I don't mean to make this sound like a bad movie, it was just written from a middle age male point of view. It really reinforced the fact that Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus, no doubt.

2 Comments:

At 10:35 AM, Blogger kara said...

You never actually said what you think on here. Did you like it or not?

 
At 6:28 PM, Blogger The Future said...

K - I liked Claire Danes although she made stupid female decisions repeatedly (even with lousy choices). I wouldn't watch it again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home