Frogs' Legs Aren't Funny

The download of my daily (almost) thoughts and ruminations.

Sunday, March 25, 2007

A Multi-Faceted Day

I'm not sure I can capture all the aspects of this day in one post. I'll start with wooden dolphins and see just how far I get. We decided that due to the freakish improvement in the weather this morning (from pouring rain all day yesterday to 65 degrees and sunshine today) we would take a nice long walk down the paved path parallel to the beach after breakfast. So we are walking along and on the right side of the path is a huge piece of driftwood, in which someone had carved out three wooden dolphins as if they were jumping in the ocean waves; very cool.

So we decided to keep walking until we got to the spot where we saw a number of wave runners last time we walked down there. And there they were only it was times 5. There were more than 20 wave runners, 1/3 of them cruising across the surf, jumping waves while the others parked at the edge either taking a break or getting ready to join the others. We walked out from the path to the edge of the water line to see them jumping wave after wave, very cool. I think we can expect that they will be out there every weekend now based on the fact that we've seen them twice now. I don't know what exactly makes that spot so good for them but it's obviously a favorite.

We got back to the cabin, packed up and hit the road to get back in time to finish a bunch of stuff. We got about half way there and ran into about 10 different teams of Search & Rescue people looking for something on both sides of the road for approximately a 10 mile span. It appeared as if they were staying in the ditch or close to the highway area. Isn't that frustrating when you see something like that and you realize you will probably never know what they were searching for or if they found it? I decided it was either an animal, a child, a gun or drugs, or possibly money. How's that for narrowing it down? Anyway, that was weird.

We stopped at my niece's to take a look at the Pampered Chef catalog she had from her party yesterday and of course I found a few things I couldn't live without (one of them was my husband's idea). They have some cool stuff most of which I'll never use since I rarely cook (as my husband was quick to point out) so I kept that in mind as I" shopped".

As we were driving back from the coast for the 2 1/2 hours it takes to get from there to here or here to there, Mike was listening to a Michael Crichton book on CD titled, "Next". Have you noticed that Crichton has assumed the role of uncovering subplots to plots around the world. His last book was about the farce called "global warming", this one is about selling body parts (or genetic theft ) without the knowledge of the body owner. He really can give you the creeps but his books move quickly, keeping you engaged. It would appear that he is skeptical of most national and international claims leading me to wonder if he is a member of the well-known Skeptic's Society, it wouldn't surprise me. He could even be the grand pooh-bah, you never know.

While Mike was listening to his book, I was reading what I believe to currently be the last in the series of the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency books, stories that take place in Botswana with a lovely woman by the name of Mma Precious Ramotswe as the heroine (the head detective) of these pieces. She describes herself to be of traditional build aka large in proportion, probably similar to the lady in the white dress in this photo. She is large enough that the "tiny, white van" she drives lists significantly to the left when she gets behind the wheel. They are fascinating books because each page connects you to daily life in Botswana, a country I knew absolutely nothing about before reading them. I'll be said when they are all finished. These stories are told from the viewpoint of this lady but are written by a man, Alexander McCall Smith...interesting.

This has turned into a very long post because it was a very interesting day so I'll save my last observation for the next one. I guess you'll just have to wait to find out what that is. Ta ta.

3 Comments:

At 3:12 PM, Blogger Mycaelus said...

I've often found that some of the best writers of the female perspective are males and some of the best writers of the male perspective are female. Odd, that.

 
At 8:04 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm really glad you've enjoyed those books, I'll have to read them sometime too one of these days.

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger kara said...

ahhh the beach. i loves it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home