Frogs' Legs Aren't Funny

The download of my daily (almost) thoughts and ruminations.

Monday, February 26, 2007

Old Friends

It was my good luck to see an old friend tonight who had introduced me to the infamous Helen Thomas, Sr. White House correspondent, a number of years ago. I was fortunate enough to sit next to her through a luncheon where she was speaking and her insights into the various presidencies were priceless. She definitely had her favorites as well as her arch enemies. And I'm sure each of those presidents knew exactly which side of her line they fell on too. When she spoke about JFK, there were truly stars in her eyes, she honestly felt he could have done so much more for our country. Knowing that she worked from the administration of FDR all the way through GW (who booted her out because he was afraid of her and/or intimidated by her).

I hate to admit I have her book but have yet to read it. Actually, I think I loaned it to someone and need to find it again so I can read it. I have no doubt any books about her life will be fascinating. All hail women who speak their minds and stand up for what they believe, regardless of the lame brain they oppose.

Anyway, it was great to see my prior co-worker again although he was more interested in talking to my daughter about her recent trip to Morrocco since he is interested in seeing Fez and she had just been there. He had just returned from India where he went to work in some schools. Apparently that's how he spends his time on these trips, by going to schools and helping out with English pronunciation and conversational teaching. He was in Bangkok recently as well. Quite the retirement plan. He is actually heading back to Washington, D.C. next week and will have dinner and drinks with Helen yet again. He's what you would term a real character but great fun to talk to. Last I knew he kept a flat in London...I can't relate.

I'm off to work out now before I collapse. A demain.

1 Comments:

At 3:50 PM, Blogger kara said...

I heard this story already!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home