Frogs' Legs Aren't Funny

The download of my daily (almost) thoughts and ruminations.

Saturday, February 24, 2007

Feeling Groovy

For those of you too young to know, the famous song "Feelin' Groovy" by Simon & Garfunkel was also known as "The 59th Street Bridge Song", hence this photo is pertinent...fooled you!

So, I'm thinking this will be a good (groovy) weekend by virtue of the fact that it is a weekend and this last week qualified under full moon status for sure. Every kind of bad behavior and poor decisions that could be made occurred last week (can you tell I work with people?) and I'm hopeful the weekend will purge all this bad behavior and next week will be a whole different world, ha, ha aka fat chance.

One of my new year's resolutions this year was to take time for me, specifically to set aside more time to spend with my friends and family and to restart piano lessons, both of which I have begun. Another sub-resolution I had was to reinvolve myself in the community. This next week I will officially join the Board of the Portland Festival Symphony founded by Lajos Balogh. But he's not only the founder, he is also the director and the conductor of the symphony. Lajos, for whom this has been a labour of love, considers the concerts his group performs in Portland's city parks as a gift back to the country who gave him a new life. This is the 26th year of the symphony and I am going to work with them to collect and document their history into a usable format for the purpose of filing for grants, endowments and as part of their public relations in general. But most of all, I'm looking forward to attending their concerts with the fam.

I have work to do today and lots of house-related stuff, which I have to fit around another visit with fam, and for the first time in my lifetime, I plan to miss the Academy Awards. I was thinking about this earlier today, what with the notable absence of the real talent like the Katherine Hepburns, the Gregory Pecks, the Audrey Hepburns, the Cary Grants, the Lana Turners, the Clark Gables the Bette Davis's, the Jimmy Stewarts, the Elizabeth Taylors (early years only), the Spencer Tracys, the Grace Kellys...you catch my drift ~ the class, the dignity, the golden, bigger than life essence of the event have been completely and totally lost. Not only that, I don't believe it is the best of pictures or actors who win anymore, it's the studio who does the best job of promoting, advertising, and schmoozing in general. The whole thing just turns me off so they have officially lost my interest and my attendance. Chances are good, I won't be the only American who tunes it out. Am I right?

1 Comments:

At 3:33 PM, Blogger kara said...

I totally tuned out

 

Post a Comment

<< Home