Frogs' Legs Aren't Funny

The download of my daily (almost) thoughts and ruminations.

Monday, February 19, 2007

The Meaning of It All

You may all think today is about, shopping, visiting, going away for the weekend, relaxing or for those who are less fortunate, working. But no, today is about two famous and important men in our country's history. Of course, I'm never sure just how important George Washington (unfortunate name currently) was in the big scheme of things. Are we actually celebrating the fact that he was simply the first president or the fact that he was a great general (similarly to Eisenhower), or because he had a nice house, or did he actually DO something important. This is a mystery I may never solve (because I don't really care enough to actually read about him).

Lincoln, of course, had a way with words and had the vision to know what was best for the country. He also had the courage to stand alone to make it happen. It was a bloody, severe time in our history but civil wars aren't all that unusual in the histories of many countries. My greatest concern is that we didn't learn all the lessons that we should have from that experience.

But, you know what, this is far too heavy of a subject for today. So now I'm going to go do all those other things I mentioned in the note above, as in workout, practice piano (lesson later) do some work (ick) and a little shopping later. Another busy day off (so to speak). Ta, ta.

3 Comments:

At 1:39 PM, Blogger kara said...

washington chopped down a cherry tree...it was the world's most important one. it was made of gold. and he didn't even LIE about it.

 
At 4:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Silly Kara.

George Washington led America to victory over the Brits in the American Revolutionary War. He also wrote some pretty cool farewell address which you can check out here.

Oh, and he freed his slaves when he died (he was the only prominent Founding Father to do so).

And he liked cricket.

Psh, I'm Canadian and I know more about the dude than you do.

 
At 6:34 PM, Blogger The Future said...

My - OK, so Kara and I are both duly chagrined. Thank you for solving that mystery that I must have slept through in 4th grade. Shame on me (and you too, Kara).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home