Frogs' Legs Aren't Funny

The download of my daily (almost) thoughts and ruminations.

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

The Banana Man; I told you he was real.

For years, I have been asking people if they remember The Banana Man from Captain Kangaroo. No one has ever known what I was talking about. He was a guy who never said anything but oh, ah, ewh, wow and other similar vowel sounds, and he wore a huge coat with even huger pockets. So, I just discovered that I am not the only one who remembers this guy, here he is! If you still don't believe he was for real, go to Google Images and type in, Banana Man on Captain Kangaroo. There is an entire film strip of all the different parts to his act. Why now, you ask? Why does anyone care or me at least; I guess I finally feel vindicated somehow. Like my entire childhood was not a sham but had substance, wierd substance but substance nevertheless. Meaning I came by my fondness for big pockets honestly.

P. S. I read the "valedictory" of George Washington. My only question is, why aren't I able to write as cleverly as he did. Well, maybe the cleverness should be attributed solely to Alexander Hamilton but either way, they had a real way with words. I look at this and wonder if we even speak the same language. I do love the way he says "Here perhaps I should stop" (on item #7), then proceeds to continue on through item #51. I guess you'd call that a teaser.

It may seem profane to mix my blog between The Banana Man and George Washington but I simply think it demonstrates my appreciation of diversity of subject matter. I don't hesitate to jump between the ludicrous and the lofty. So, I wonder if George Washington would have considered a guest spot on Captain Kangaroo if he had lived 200 years later? Eh, probably not.
Maybe he would have on Laugh-in though, after all, Nixon did...as a matter of fact, I think his script was, "Sock it to me". Little did we know how prophetic this little phrase would be. You have just got to love the 60's/70's. I wouldn't have traded it for ANY other time.

OK, I'm way over my time limit. Ta ta!

2 Comments:

At 10:06 AM, Blogger kara said...

I've never noticed that you had an affinity for large pockets.

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger Bill Higgins-- Beam Jockey said...

Behold, video clips of The Banana Man!

Al Robins in a short film from 1939:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpVkRu0QkE8

Sam Levine, who took over the act after Robins retired, on Captain Kangaroo in 1969:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et6Jt2YX44o

 

Post a Comment

<< Home