Frogs' Legs Aren't Funny

The download of my daily (almost) thoughts and ruminations.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Oily Beaches

So, I'm taking bets on whether Bush will be successful in restarting off-shore oil drilling in the US considering that we have been able to keep it shut down for more than 20 years. If he is, this spells environmental disaster for beaches and coastlines all around the country. I heard a Senator from the San Francisco area say one of the targeted drilling areas is only three miles off their coast. That's nuts. But then again, considering the source of this idea, that's no surprise.

I also saw an ad last night on tv for a water-powered Honda; I can't remember the model but it was something small. That's a cool idea. I hadn't heard of that as an alternative before. I wonder how they've mastered the simple fact of evaporation though. I also wonder where you go to fill up? Do you carry pitchers of water out of your house or run the hose from outside into your car? Or, does it require special water? I don't know the answer to any of those questions but I did remark to Mike that it was amazing how quickly the automobile makers have been able to respond by providing alternative forms of energy-driven vehicles once the obstacles had been removed.

In fact, "going green" is now the "in" thing to do. That's true for individuals, their homes, companies and even cities. In fact, Portland is considered to be one of the greenest and my office building has received the "green" award for two years running. (I know, that's more than enough quote marks.) All of a sudden, we're all socially and environmentally conscious. All I know is a new recycling bin was delivered yesterday that is so big it won't even fit in our garage. I do appreciate the opportunity to recycle everything together though (except glass). Not having to do all the sorting will save Mike at least a half hour a week which equates to 26 hours a year. That's worth quite a bit. OK, to him that's worth another 26 hours in front of the boob tube.

I'm cutting back on the Google images due to recent criticism so don't expect to see alot of photographs here. You're stuck with a vanilla post.

2 Comments:

At 4:56 PM, Blogger kara said...

hey now! i didn't say don't do ANY! jebus.

i want that recycling bin where you can throw in everything. i want it now.

hippie

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger theWaif said...

Yeah, not enough google images!

Oil drilling? I'm betting on whether he'll start a war with Iran!

Bush Admin. = Axis of Evil

 

Post a Comment

<< Home