Frogs' Legs Aren't Funny

The download of my daily (almost) thoughts and ruminations.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

My Laptop Is Back!

...and life is good. I didn't realize how dependent I had become on having this easy, quick access. What a great example of lazy America that I thought it was a hassle to go all the way downstairs to the desktop in the far, windowless corner of the basement. The convenience of this little gem was most certainly taken for granted by me before, but never again. Since it was me that caused the problem (I fried the hard drive), I can't complain much but it did take a long time to get it back to a functional state. I'm again in lovely laptop heaven.

The news right now is so full of horrific stories about the cyclone victims in Myanmar, the tornado victims in the Midwest and the earthquake victims in China that I count my lucky stars everyday that I only have to deal with rain. No problem as long as freakish Mother Nature continues to overlook our little neck of the woods. You do kind of start to look around and wonder who is going to get hit next. It's almost like the grand, overall forces of nature are getting all wound up and these poor locations are bearing the brunt of their angry displays. You know the old saying, "you can't fool Mother Nature". Well, I wonder if all we have done to destroy and break down the healthy environment has contributed to some of these horrible events. I don't suppose there is any way to know but I'm sure we didn't help.

There was a news story yesterday that an environmental group had taken out an injunction to prevent the installation of a number of windmills along the Columbia River Gorge that would have created an amazing amount of pollutant free power. Their issue was it would ruin the view. Hm, view vs. finding healthy alternatives to oil; what's wrong with this picture?

I'm sure the primaries fall in the classification of freakish somehow too. There just isn't a pleasant word for politics. It is what it is. They played back the news election analyst reactions when they couldn't immediately get election results from Lake County, Indiana. They were pretty funny. I actually think they are all as sick of it as the rest of us. Fortunately, I don't have to face a television camera when I'm rolling my eyes after hearing about the latest antics of one of these candidates.

John McCain was on The Daily Show (rerun) yesterday and I have to say, he was having trouble keeping up with John Stewart, as most people do. He just looks so old and unhealthy, downright pasty. I can't imagine how he would last through four years in the White House, let alone eight. I feel kind of sorry for him for waiting so long to get it right because I do think he would have made a few wiser choices than our current, sad excuse for a Republican president. In comparison, I look at all the good that was being done by Lincoln, Kennedy, King and Kennedy; assassinations seem to hit the most unlikely people unfortunately.

Time for me to go tickle the ivories (okay plastic).

1 Comments:

At 11:14 AM, Blogger kara said...

i'll be interested to see who he chooses as a vice president...because yes, that person would be our president within, like, a year if he wins the election.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home