Frogs' Legs Aren't Funny

The download of my daily (almost) thoughts and ruminations.

Sunday, April 06, 2008

And Then There Were None

I heard this morning that Charlton Heston died yesterday. Yes, he was an NRA loving, right-wing redneck but he was still part of the glorious and glamorous Hollywood of yesteryear. I've been trying to think if there are any others still left. These are the divine generation survivors I think we still have with us:

- Kirk Douglas (91)
- Doris Day (84)
- James Garner (80)
- Lauren Bacall (84)
- Mitzi Gaynor (77)
- Tony Curtis (83)
- Sidney Poitier (81)
- Harry Belafonte (81)
- Jerry Lewis (82)
- Carl Reiner (86)
- Sid Caesar (85)
- Dick VanDyke (82)
- Walter Matthau (79)
- Charles Durning (85)


- Jean Simmons (79)
- Anthony Hopkins (71)
- Vanessa Redgrave (71)
- Maggie Smith (73)
- Omar Sharif (75)
- Geraldine Chaplin (64)
- Julie Christie (66)



and, last but certainly not least, the lovely lady I saw in person just a year ago, talking about her life in Hollywood and specifically about the making of "Meet Me In St. Louis" with Judy Garland, etc. Would you just look at that face? And her personality had you hooked from the first minute.
- Margaret O'Brien (71)

OK, that's a decent list but look at their ages. The average age is about 79 but that's only because I threw in a couple in their 60's, mere babies. Did you notice how few of the older actors are women? Hm, I thought women were supposed to outlive men? Maybe an actor's life is the exception. Anyway, I feel like every day I need to hold my breath that we don't lose another one.

There just aren't any debonair, dignified, classy actors or actresses to replace these folks or any of those we have already lost. And, I don't suppose there is any way to get that glamor back. I'm afraid we've graduated to tacky/glitzy verging on gaudy these days unless someone has the guts to copy one of those gorgeous gowns and hairstyles of yesteryear. Yes, we have some good actors but they've lost that sheen of class, that patina of dignity, that something special that commands respect. And it's not just me who feels this way, I hear similar lamenting frequently.

Oh well, we're all heading in the same direction, right?

2 Comments:

At 11:01 PM, Blogger kara said...

walter matthau is dead. he died a couple years ago.

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger The Future said...

Tell Wikipedia.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home