Frogs' Legs Aren't Funny

The download of my daily (almost) thoughts and ruminations.

Sunday, July 01, 2007



Good health is one of many conditions we take for granted. Why is it that you most appreciate your good health when you're sick? My daughter was extremely ill this weekend and all I could think about was I wished I was the one who was sick instead. Once a parent, always a parent (she's on the road to recovery after three IV's in Emergency).


I warned her, she will go through the same thing with baby boy. If you could prevent all the diseases, all the injuries, all the meanness of other kids to your kids, you would. On the other hand, all those experiences create the adult you will become. It's just painful to live through for them and possibly even more painful to watch. And the mommy syndrome never leaves you. There is nothing else as wonderful or as worrisome and absolutely nothing more rewarding.

So sayeth me...

3 Comments:

At 5:39 PM, Blogger kara said...

I go through the same thing with my cat ALL the TIME.

 
At 6:08 PM, Blogger nic said...

Hi. :)
I have to agree with you, future. Just tonight the short and I were at the playground and there were little girls there who were being snotty and calling him names. I didn't say anything to them, but I did pull short aside and talk to him about it. He wanted them to be nice. But I tried to explain that he can't- they will be who they are (mean) and all he can control is how he responds to it. And in this case, they're not his friends, so they shouldn't matter. (I added in lots of concrete examples, he's only 6)

I don't know if he got it. It hurt me to see him cry. But maybe he catch on and not have to constantly feel as if he's a slave to other people's opinions.

I hope. Anyway, I know where you're coming from. I wouldn't trade it for the world, but damn it hurts sometimes...

 
At 8:09 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

As the former-sickee, I am just so lucky to have such a wonderful mom to have seen me through, not just that illness, but all the illnesses of my childhood. Sorry to cause so much heartache over the years, but know that you made it easier to bear just by being with me. I can only hope that, whenever my own child falls ill, as is unfortunately inevitable, I'll be of the same help to him as you have always been to me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home