Frogs' Legs Aren't Funny

The download of my daily (almost) thoughts and ruminations.

Saturday, June 30, 2007

It Takes All Kinds

I was thinking about the people I know and the people I don't "know" but know of and how different each one is from the other. Do you actually know any two people who are exactly alike in every way? I'm not just talking physically, I'm also talking behavior-wise. When you think about the fact that there are over 6 trillion people (human bodies) on the earth and each body has the same basic composition (I'm talking about the insides), isn't it amazing how each person is slightly different from anyone else...or are they?

Or, if we were somehow able to run a test of every single person against every other single person in the world, how many exact matches would we find? Would there be any? Is it possible I could have a twin in Russia, another one in Madagascar and another one in New Zealand? If there are literally no two exactly alike, does that mean the human population could continue to grow with no possibility of appearance or behavioral duplication ad infinitum? Interesting to think each of us could truly be unique from anyone else in the world or that we could not. Obviously there is no way to run that exhaustive of a test but it's interesting to think about.

Periodically when I'm walking down a street or having a drink at a sidewalk cafe and watching people go by, it amazes me that if you took off the covering (I don't mean clothes, I mean skin and physical features) and it were only our skeletons walking around, how in the world would we tell each other apart? Other than size or a missing limb, you couldn't.




Even the Pirates of the Caribbean folks had to put some slimy stuff and accessories on the skeletal figures to differentiate them, which further proves my point.


So let me ask this question, if we lost our skin and outer physical features, would or could prejudice survive? I suppose religion could still be an issue but if you just think about the fact that if it weren't for our outer coverings, there would be no differences, how silly is that? How tragic is it that we can't deal with and/or ignore those cosmetic differences without fighting and killing each other?


Of course, imagine a bunch of skeletons fighting each other because of their religious differences, they wouldn't last very long without their protective covering so they might decide not to fight simply to survive. This is leading me to the fact that prejudice is mainly skin deep! How's that for a hypothesis?

3 Comments:

At 5:36 PM, Blogger kara said...

If we lost our skin and outer physical features...we'd probably die of exposure

 
At 8:17 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

But then you'd get the people who'd say, "Her arm muscles are too sinewy," or "His vertebrae are ugly." And then it wouldn't be too long before they'd start segregating the drinking fountains for the "Appendixed" and "Unappendixed"...bad news, I'm telling you.

 
At 9:39 PM, Blogger The Future said...

Well, if you're both convinced the skinless world would not be a better place, I'll forget it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home