Frogs' Legs Aren't Funny

The download of my daily (almost) thoughts and ruminations.

Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Good Guys and Bad Guys

In my opinion, it's all a matter of perspective, in fact that's not just my opinion, look at the last presidential election. The majority of the country had a different perspective and opinion than I did. Of course, they were all wrong but that's beside the point.


When I think of an objective journalist, I think of Edward R. Murrow. I realize his opinion entered into the picture when he got deep into the rousting of the truly evil Joe McCarthy but for the most part, he was very objective and you felt you could trust him implicitly. How many of today's newscasters do you feel you can completely trust?




Instead, I would venture a guess that they are more likely to report in such a way that it will cause some kind of reaction. That reaction may be one of outrage, sympathy, horror, sadness, frustration, anger, shock, etc... you get my point. It's the reaction they are after to obtain the highest ratings. It's not about honesty in reporting, it's about ratings. Kind of like for profit health plans are about satisfying their stockholders as much or more than they are about providing coverage.


There are all sorts of examples of this kind of behavior, Sicko is just one. But it isn't only the intentions of journalists or health insurance companies that are suspect, for- profit business in general falls into this same category. Because for the most part they are being driven by the same financial drivers. They are slaves to the stock market and their bottom line in most cases, not to their customers. Can anybody say, "Walmart"?


Give me good ol' John Stewart for my news, that's about as serious as I want to get. Actually, in his own clever way, I think he is very serious about his concerns and how he makes his points while entertaining us all the while. He's my hero!

2 Comments:

At 9:18 AM, Blogger kara said...

I hear Katie Couric slaps people.

 
At 8:56 PM, Blogger The Future said...

K - She's got to do something to keep her ratings up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home