Frogs' Legs Aren't Funny

The download of my daily (almost) thoughts and ruminations.

Friday, May 08, 2009

Hand Out



In celebration of Kara's 359th post (how did 
you figure that out, count them individually - 
you just don't have enough to do), I am observing 
that money may not buy happiness but it certainly
keeps the non-profits away from your door.  

This year, more than any other I can remember, every non-profit organization under the sun is asking for money.  What I can't figure out is how they can afford to send all these giveaways to 
everyone in the world or at least to all those on their lengthy, ill-begotten lists.  

Between postage and the cost of producing the note cards, the calendars, the memo pads, the return address labels, etc., it seems the guilt they hope to impose isn't going to be sufficient to 
prevent most people from simply using what they send and throwing the rest away.  Hence they're out the production overhead and with no contributions, they're now in the hole.  

I'm the perfect case in point, I have a drawer full of return address labels from the March of Dimes, Easter Seals, The American Heart Association, The Red Cross, the Save the Turtle Society (just kidding but barely), and I'm relatively certain I didn't donate anything to any of them.  I suppose I could just toss them when they come but that seems wasteful.  I guess the main question is do we feel more guilty keeping something we don't "pay" for or for throwing away something that's perfectly good.  Yet another moral dilemma.  

Time to practice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home