Frogs' Legs Aren't Funny

The download of my daily (almost) thoughts and ruminations.

Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Dom Dom Dom Dom

This has to be fast but I'm just a little bit sad about Dom DeLuise dying.  He was one of those actors or comedians who always seemed to be on the periphery.  I don't know that you could say he ever made it to the big time, he certainly wasn't ever the "star or headliner" of any movie.  

In fact, if it hadn't been for the scads of television variety shows that were on for years, no one ever would have heard of him or any of the other comedic "B" and "C" talents.  


It does appear that he went by way of Kevin Duckworth, to the tune of carrying an extra 200-300 pounds.  Is too much food or booze really worth giving up years of your life for?


Some other names that come to mind who fell into this entertainment 
category are Tim Conway, Harvey Korman, Arte Johnson, Ruth Buzze, Wally Cox, Joanne Worley, Buddy Hackett, Paul Lynde, and the list goes on (what were the names of all those people who use to sit in the Hollywood Squares for instance?).  But to give them their due, they found a niche and probably did well without all the paparazzi living in their faces as they do with those who are wildly successful. 

So, I guess success can be measured in different ways.  There are probably plenty of superstars who would gladly sell a piece of their stardom for a little privacy, which is now completely out of their reach.  I'll take my lack of notoriety anytime.

1 Comments:

At 10:14 AM, Blogger Robert the Skeptic said...

I LOVED the "Hollywood Squares". I would also throw in there Phyllis Diller who I also thought was hilarious. All those squares were masters of ad-lib and innuendo. Nothing like them exist today.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home