Frogs' Legs Aren't Funny

The download of my daily (almost) thoughts and ruminations.

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Just Returned from Mariner/Seahawk Country

The big news is the weather is as ugly and wet up there as it is here. I guess that means we have both shared in the remnants of said typhoon. It seems odd that a storm system can blow that many miles across the ocean and still have any wind left, I know I wouldn't.


Seattle does have great restaurants though. Ironically, instead of eating last night at Mazana like we were supposed to, we ended up eating at McCormick & Schmick's, which we have here so it wasn't quite as special as usual. Met some new people, heard some interesting (and some depressing) stuff so all in all, a worthwhile trip.

I also heard today that Hillary has a significant lead now on the Deomcratic side and Giulliani is sort of leading the GOP but not by alot. It seems so pointless to go through all this when that's all there is to choose from. Hillary is never going to get elected by the bible belt that seems to control our world and Rudy's only experience is as the mayor of a large metropolis. I remember thinking that the various presidential candidates who had only been governors previously didn't have enough experience domestic or international experience to not only move us ahead for once but to even keep us out of hot water. For the most part, I think I was right. So what in the dickens experience is a former mayor going to draw from when he's faced with North Korean or Iranian aggression, how is he going to make a decision on whether to pay for Social Security or Medicare, what if he has to decide between buses to New Orleans to save the city or federal aid to Florida because they are hit by simultaneous storm systems, the what if's go on and on. I mean the guy can't even decide which woman he wants, how is he going to make a decision on who should sit on the Supreme Court?

I've seen a few Colbert Report shows recently during which Stephen hasn't hesitated to blatantly promote his new book,
"I'm an American and You Can Too"
or something like that.

I guess one of the reasons I'm not so sold on this guy is his continuing copycatting of my idol, John Stewart. John hosts a half hour tv show, Stephen hosts a half hour tv show, John puts his guests on the hot seat, Stephen does the same, John writes a book (America), Stephen writes a book that even shares one of the same title words.

This is the excerpt from Wikipedia about Stephen's new book. Truthiness is a satirical term created by television comedian Stephen Colbert to describe things that a person claims to know intuitively or "from the gut" without regard to evidence, logic, intellectual examination, or actual facts. Colbert created this definition of the word during the inaugural episode of his satirical television program The Colbert Report, as the subject of a segment called "The Wørd". It was named Word of the Year for 2005 by the American Dialect Society and for 2006 by Merriam-Webster. By using the term as part of his satirical routine, Colbert sought to criticize the use of "truthiness" as an appeal to emotion and tool of rhetoric in contemporary socio-political discourse. He particularly applied it to U.S. President George W. Bush's nomination of Harriet Miers to the Supreme Court and decision to invade Iraq in 2003. (more...)

If you want to see the rest, you'll obviously have to go to the site. This book will NOT be on my Christmas list.

I'm not going to talk about the rest of the news other than Boston had better get their act together. I think they forgot momentarily how to hit the ball. Hopefully their memories return tonight.

Most everything else newsworthy was disgusting so I'm off to clean up after my kitty. A demain!

2 Comments:

At 10:00 PM, Blogger kara said...

I'm disappointed that you're so against Stephen. Especially since I plan on marrying him.

Don't tell Chris.

 
At 7:22 PM, Blogger The Future said...

You know, when you say stuff like that, I wonder why you're flying back to Kansas because I think you half mean it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home