Frogs' Legs Aren't Funny

The download of my daily (almost) thoughts and ruminations.

Saturday, October 13, 2007

Can't Keep Up

I no sooner read that Orlando Bloom has a new lady love when he's in a car accident and breaks some girl's neck. The big question being, is it the same girl? Like I really care, if it were Mike he'd be hovering over the information waiting for the next EXTRA with baited breath. I simply don't bait my breath. I'm normal, not silly. EXTRA, Entertainment Tonight, Parade magazine in the Sunday paper, all silliness. What do we all care more about, who is going to lead us into the next war or how many piercings Britney Spears has...don't answer that.

What a lovely Fall weekend. Lots of visiting already and other fun stuff. Getting ready to post my cool car on Craig's List, that makes me sad so I'm not going to talk about it anymore.

Watched a girl's high school volleyball tournament this morning. Boy have they ever changed the rules. a point is scored with every play, they play a set of 3 to 25 points (must win by 2) and they play something like 4-5 sets in a day. Made me tired just to watch but it sure was fun. It was interesting how the girls lowest to the ground were the best diggers, whoever said there's no place for short girls in volleyball was dead wrong. They could get to hits that had everyone else rolling on the ground from trying to hit them. It's very popular, two gyms full with two games playing in each simultaneously.

That's something else, high schools are so much bigger and nicer now than they ever were when I was in school or even when my kids were in school. For all that you hear the schools are so bad and the kids undereducated, it certainly isn't for lack of lovely facilities. For those who believe the environment has a significant impact on someone's attitude, they would have to believe these buildings are much more pleasant to reside in day after day. In fact, they are probably nicer than alot of the kids homes. I don't even want to think about how many millions it costs to build one of them.

I bought Halloween candy today, I hope that means I get at least 10 kids again this year. What house doesn't get at least 10 kids you ask, well mine for many of the years since we've lived here. For someone who delights in holiday decorating and participation, it's been very hard to take. There's only one family of kids on our street and their church apparently doesn't believe in Halloween because I've watched for little costumes to come running out their door every year and it just doesn't happen. Anyway, I bought a very wierd and delightful assortment of candy type items that will be the hit of the neighborhood if I can just entice a few to take a chance on my house.

It can't come close to the wonderfulness of my Halloween memories (crisp apples, freshly-made popcorn balls-still soft and gooey, homemade cookies, etc.) but it's a relatively good substitute.

Time to write a letter and then to try out a new brew pub, yay for Portland!

1 Comments:

At 12:17 PM, Blogger kara said...

oh god. kendra's in high school? i'm old.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home