Frogs' Legs Aren't Funny

The download of my daily (almost) thoughts and ruminations.

Sunday, September 16, 2007

One Day of Freedom Left

Sunday at 12:10 PM and I haven't done a single thing (hardly anyway) I should have done by now, those come next. It's nice to have this bit of fun to do before I get to the grind.

I watched a number of WWII veterans this morning who had been flown from all over the country to see the somewhat newly erected WWII memorial in D.C. Funds have been raised all over the country to get these retired folks there to observe the demonstration of this country's gratitude to them.


They most certainly were fighting clear and present danger and true evil on two fronts and I've heard time and again how the monstrosities they witnessed and experienced themselves were so horrible they couldn't and didn't talk about their time in the war for decades. It was a very moving segment of Sunday Morning. What really got me was the fact that 1,200-1,500 of these vets are dying per day.

You know, if it had been mainly women representing the country in the war instead of men, my guess is that this memorial would have been constructed long ago simply based on the fact that we would have talked about it. The "it" can range from an experience of certain magnitude like a stint in the armed services or living through a natural disaster to finding yourself wearing the same outfit as someone you dislike (who is thinner and younger than you) at a special event. I know very few women who would keep either of those experiences or anything in-between to themselves. That is, of course, why we live longer.

Speaking of living longer, my parents have been married 57 years today. I'd love to say they are still affectionate and hold hands when they go places together (I've heard this does happen) but to be honest I don't remember them ever doing that. In fact, I used to think they were going to get a divorce even when I was little they fought so much. Nowadays, it's more about the daily battle they go through just dealing with the fact that my dad can't hear and my mom is quite naggy (is that a word?) and short-tempered when it comes to dealing with him. I think they can chalk up their marriage longevity to stubborness and habit more than anything else. There is undoubtedly some love there somewhere, it's just buried pretty deep. However, either of them would most certainly miss the other if they were gone.

Today is one of those overcast days, when the endorphins are trapped under the surface and you just can't get your engines going. So, I guess I'd better have one more cup of tea to jumpstart my engine and practice on my superb piano. Then I tackle the briefcase. Hasta la vista.

1 Comments:

At 11:21 AM, Blogger kara said...

Stop tackling the briefcase on the weekends. I mean it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home