Frogs' Legs Aren't Funny

The download of my daily (almost) thoughts and ruminations.

Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Batteries Not Included

I have to ask with all the amazing advances we've seen in the microchip or whatever that little device is called these days, why can't they come up with a substantial battery to power all these wonderful inventions that lasts more than a few hours. I think that is one of the single things that stands between widespread hybrid purchasing and the more limited variety we have now. People don't want to stop constantly to recharge their battery and they don't want to have to only stick to a certain route that has battery recharger options on it.

If you can pack all this punch into these tiny computer and other electronic pieces, why can't someone invent the battery that truly is "EverReady" or "Energized"? I know, I know the fact that they can't be recycled should be my greater concern but if I buy this great phone and it can't even make it through the day doing all the things it was touted to do, than I've bought a pig in a poke (what exactly does that mean anyway?).

This is one of my ongoing pet peeves similar to that of manufactured obsolescence but I don't have time to get wound up about that right now. Just saying...whose out there working on this anyway?

2 Comments:

At 7:40 PM, Blogger kara said...

brendan thinks it will take years to find a way to add on to battery power as a whole.

 
At 9:40 PM, Blogger The Future said...

I want to know exactly why he thinks that. If they can do the things they can do in space, if they can put the guts of a computer into a miniscule chip, if they can put an entire video camera into something I can hold in the palm of my hand, if they can do precise and delicate surgery remotely with a robotic arm, if they can tell how old the oldest of prehistoric bones are, then why is it going to take years to figure this out? Why, why, why?
Is this a marketing ploy? Or is this about our inability to recycle these things?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home