Frogs' Legs Aren't Funny

The download of my daily (almost) thoughts and ruminations.

Saturday, September 13, 2008

What Exactly Do You Mean By Cute?

Why is it we all think certain wild, "would rip us apart or run us down without any qualms" animals are cute? Panda bears come to mind, as well as some other bears like Sun Bears, Koalas, etc., not so much the Grizzly or Polar variety. But tigers, lions, ocelots, cheetahs, leopards, panthers, sea lions, giraffes, whales like "Free Willy", foxes, rabbits, owls, otters of all sorts and kangaroos. They don't even all have furriness in common although I think that generally makes you want to squeeze whatever it is and leads you to the "cute" assumption.

I know it's the eyes in the sea lions that are so appealing. Penguins qualify for the cute part but I think it would be difficult for them to run us down unless they were in the water although they could probably peck us to death if they felt like it.

I know if it's a baby anything it falls into this category. The picture of the brand new baby elephant, Sam, at the Portland zoo this morning was especially cute and you have to admit, elephants are born looking old and wrinkled. It's something about the miniature version of things that is so appealing. Along those same lines, though, I'd have to say a miniature version of my neck could never be called cute.

I think people feel the same way about kids, the miniature versions of their parents and extended family members. Especially when they are dressed in big people small fry clothes. They really look like "Mini Me's" walking around. From a tie dyed shirt to a pair of khaki shorts to a polo shirt, the little version is going to be cute.

I suppose having baby boy here today has me in a "cute" frame of mind and that's a happy place to be. I'm going to go now and enjoy the rest of my long-awaited weekend.

1 Comments:

At 9:46 PM, Blogger kara said...

Face is just stupid cute. there's no comparison. except maybe the unborn niece.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home