Frogs' Legs Aren't Funny

The download of my daily (almost) thoughts and ruminations.

Monday, August 25, 2008

Cloud Phenomenon

I've looked at clouds from both sides now - From up and down, and still somehow - It's cloud illusions I recall - I really don't know clouds at all. (Thank you, Joni.)

And she's right, I don't really know clouds but I do know the thoughts they bring to mind when I'm driving for hours on a road trip. What follows is my thought process last week as we traveled from Portland to Eugene, where the clouds finally hid behind a curtain of darkness.

Clouds come in a myriad of shapes
They may seem to be so low you should be able to touch them

Impressive black, roiling cloud bank through which lightening bolts rip apart the sky
They remind you of big fists holding tightly to the most vicious of weather


High flying wisps of cotton against a cornflower blue sky



Thick, gray clouds laden down with tons of rain
The science of millions of drops of water evaporating from earth surface water and eventually forming clouds is a very mysterious process. How do each of these drops of moisture link up with other drops? What process or condition causes them to bind together into a cloud formation? Where's Carl Sagan when I need him?

Clouds also create windows. You may see long rays of sun shine through the window or the red hues of sunset disconnected from the brilliant orb itself
What holds clouds in the air where they are? If gravity isn't a factor, why don't they just float up into the outer atmosphere eventually? If gravity is a factor, what is it pulling, millions of drops of water?

As it rains, why don't the clouds disappear as the drops fall?

Red sky at morning, sailors take warning; red sky at night, sailors delight. What does it mean?



I thought it was fitting that I start with song lyrics and end with an old saying/poem. I can't answer the question but how literary of me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home