Frogs' Legs Aren't Funny

The download of my daily (almost) thoughts and ruminations.

Saturday, July 05, 2008

Intestinal Fortitude

Right now, I'm trying to outlast my grandson who doesn't appear to think he needs a nap. He has been in his nap room for exactly 40 minutes and still appears (the audio version anyway) to be going strong. His parents will not be happy with me if he doesn't take a nap, especially since they are supposed to take him to a play group party immediately after he wakes up. Hopefully, he'll collapse in there at some point in the next few minutes. I don't dare go in there to try to get him to go to sleep (tried that before) because he will be up, up, up at that point with no hope of any shuteye after that.

He's been talking the whole time, some counting, some reciting the alphabet, some talking about what he did earlier today. He's cracking me up so it's a good thing he can't see my face. I'm hoping for a miracle in the next 15 minutes or so.

This weekend's weather has represented one of the ironies of life. The entire last two weeks it has been hot, hot, hot, like summer should be, albeit quite humid. This three day weekend, it has been overcast and just barely warmish. Then, on Monday, it's supposed to immediately go back to sunny and mid-80's. Hence the irony. Oh well, maybe it prevented some of the fires that seem to go hand-in-hand with fireworks.

I swear, every time he gets quiet, a Harley drives by or the phone rings or the neighbor starts hammering. I'm about ready to give up. I definitely have to relearn the art of getting things done while the baby's asleep, which I think he might be now.


I can remember when my girls were little I would kick into superwoman mode at this point to achieve all my nap objectives. It seems silly now but I have the added challenge of a house that squeaks and creaks with most of my steps so I have to watch where I step while I'm at it. I'd better dig deep and find some of that previous s.w. energy because it's no where on the surface.

OK, it's official, he's been quiet for the last 10 minutes so I'm outta here. Hasta la vista.

2 Comments:

At 8:26 PM, Blogger theWaif said...

See? I knew he'd give in for you, he always does eventually. I wish I was able to make better use of his naptime too. I think it was easier to get stuff done before the internets were invented.

 
At 9:57 PM, Blogger kara said...

i like to blame the internets for everything too...but i think we all know everything is laura's fault.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home