Frogs' Legs Aren't Funny

The download of my daily (almost) thoughts and ruminations.

Monday, August 04, 2008

Happy Burpday, Rammie!

This would be the specific quote from baby boy when he first saw me yesterday. It's priceless, I know and now it's captured here for posterity. He is the icing on my cake, he's the treat in my cracker jacks box, he's the year-end bonus all year, he's just plain special.

I actually have a number of topics to discuss that are not birthday related but how could I proceed without sharing that bit of wonderfulness right up front. So, moving on... this was a story taken from somewhere by someone but I have every reason to believe it is a true story so regardless of it being from a quotable source, worth repeating.

Bertie Bowman at 13 was invited by a politician to Washington, D.C. It went like this, he heard the congressman stumping from a train, and one of the things the congressman said in that speech was, "Come to Washington, D.C., visit me and I'll find you a job." So, Bertie did (go to DC and look him up) and the congressman did (find him a job) sweeping the steps of the Capitol.

Bertie credits his success with a number of attitudinal traits he has. First, he always maintains a positive attitude. Regardless of whether someone tries to do him harm or say mean things, he never holds a grudge. Finally, he always approached every situation as an opportunity to prevail.

Today, Bertie is the Senate coordinator and has been in Washington, D. C. for 50 years. He's obviously found the secret sauce, why can't more of us see the advantages of acting the same?

Is it that they don't want to work that hard? Is it that they've been raised to hold grudges or worse yet to retaliate and can't seem to break that mold? And why do so many of us look at the cup as half empty when our success in any given situation would be rewarding and satisfying?

All I can say is, hearing stories like Bertie's keeps my little successes here and there in very important perspective. An excellent life lesson for us all.

1 Comments:

At 1:36 PM, Blogger kara said...

i tried to comment on this one a couple of days ago, but blogger was down.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home