Frogs' Legs Aren't Funny

The download of my daily (almost) thoughts and ruminations.

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Batten Down The Hatches

It's amazing to me how quickly the economy has dipped to an alarming level. In retrospect, it feels like one house of cards fell, then another, then another and they have been continually falling. I truly think the overspending and stupid spending of this administration started it all but then it feels like there was a major pile-on and now we're all under it.

So, all those Baby Boomers who are my age or somewhat younger are beginning to wonder if they are ever going to be able to retire. We're watching our investments dwindle on a daily basis and it doesn't feel like there are any safe alternatives. I'm beginning to wonder if there is any audience left for Dennis Hopper to appeal to. There has been lots and lots of talk in the past about Social Security and Medicare having no future financially but that's starting to feel more and more likely now. I have to admit, the idea of working forever isn't what I signed up for. So, if all of us who are over 50 start getting the boot, the average age of employees at Walmart may eventually be 55 or higher.

I have to wonder if more and more Boomers are going to start dropping dead at work since they are having to work longer years in their pressure cooker environments when tolerance for age seems to be lower than ever. That's not a pleasant thought for the dropper or for the surrounding witnesses.

In my particular case, I'll be very surprised if Congress and/or the new president don't take some sort of drastic action on health care and that will most certainly impact my work and life. Only the fact that it would take a considerable amount of time to affect significant change in the insurance industry leaves me any hope of being able to finish out where I'm at.

It is heartening to see the Boomers picking up the mantle for greening America as demonstrated by this photograph you can almost see. I feel the good old social consciousness raising again. Give my generation a good cause and we're there. I'm just looking forward to the music that comes out of this millennium's Woodstock.

We'll see. If there's one thing of which I can be certain it's change, repeatedly.

2 Comments:

At 10:20 PM, Blogger kara said...

boomers schmoomers. i'm calling my generation the awesomers.

 
At 9:02 PM, Blogger The Future said...

And that would be because...?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home