Frogs' Legs Aren't Funny

The download of my daily (almost) thoughts and ruminations.

Saturday, March 21, 2009

Viewpoint from Above

I was realizing today that most of the large cities I've visited have at least one elevated hill or man-made edifice that enables you to see much of the city from above.  When I thought about all the large cities I've visited, I realized I'd seen the panoramic view of most of them.
Paris - Le Samaritan Department Store

Copenhagen - The Round Tower
London - The London Eye

San Francisco - The Hyatt Regency and Twin Peaks in Oakland
Atlanta - Some restaurant in the top of a high rise office building
Portland - Portland City Grill AND the Rose Garden
Seattle - the Union 76 tram that took you across the World's Fairgrounds in 1962
Disneyland  - The Monorail
Athens - the Parthenon
Edinburgh - Edinburgh Castle up on the hill in the middle of town
Astoria - The Astor Column (I just had to throw this one in)


The only large cities I can think of that I've visited (for more than a day) 
in which this wasn't true were Los Angeles, San Diego and Dublin.

I know these kinds of high rise viewpoints are typically tourist traps designed to reel you in.  However, I can't think of one of these views that wasn't worth the time, the effort, the money or the general experience.  There really isn't anything more lovely than a panoramic view of city lights.

I'm not sure what it is about a view that is so pleasing and even relaxing.  I know any kind of water feature, such as a river, a lake, the ocean, gives you that feeling of serenity but I feel that a broad expanse of twinkling lights can have the same effect.  I suppose that's why pieces of property that overlook either of these phenomenas command such high prices.  I'm obviously not the only one affected this way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home