Frogs' Legs Aren't Funny

The download of my daily (almost) thoughts and ruminations.

Saturday, October 09, 2010

Tipping Point


I'm quite certain I've used this title before but I couldn't think of a better term for the point at which someone is unwilling to not only change their opinion but even to listen. Last night we were watching Bill Maher, whom I very much appreciate for hosting both his opponents and his allies. The subject was atheism or I guess more accurately it was embracing a religion, or even a new religion as an adult. He was chastising Obama and others who said they were born again or who "found their faith" as adults.

His thinking was that by the time you're grown, you should know better than to believe the myth. He compared religious faith to believing in Santa Claus I think. I guess I take a slightly different view.

I guess I should clarify first I'm probably more Agnostic than Athiest. I don't necessarily believe but my mind is still open (that was specifically what he couldn't fathom). I certainly don't believe in all the religious representations of the holidays we celebrate but yes, I still celebrate the holidays. I guess it's more about tolerance. If someone wants to pray at dinner, I won't stand in their way or denigrate them for it, but I also don't really believe in the "religious" power of prayer.

Now that's not to say there isn't power in group support and positive thinking, I simply don't believe in the supreme being with long, flowing gray hair and long white robes sitting on his throne on high calling all the shots. There is no one making you rich or making you skinny or making you smart, it's called "do it yourself" with maybe a little luck thrown in regarding the money wish in particular.
Anyway, I've been gone all day visiting with my parents and then the grandkids so now I'm tired and disinterested in continuing. That's alright, I captured the gist of my thinking.

3 Comments:

At 11:07 PM, Blogger Robert the Skeptic said...

I remained Agnostic for a good many years. This year I concluded that I am an Atheist. What had me in limbo was the question of where the universe came from. I had heard the it is possible for "something to come from nothing" but it never held any logic for me.

But that was until I heard the lecture of Lawrence Krause and the Stephen Hawkings book came out. In essense, god is not needed to create out known universe. I blogged about it here.

As for the Biblical god, the god of the Bible, Koran, etc... CLEARLY all man-made mythology.

 
At 10:28 PM, Blogger kara said...

bill mahr frustrates me, because i see him as being a unnecessarily polarizing figure. you're right...there's not tolerance there. but he's WAY funnier than glenn beck.

 
At 10:41 PM, Blogger The Future said...

A wheelbarrow is way funnier than Glenn Beck.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home