Frogs' Legs Aren't Funny

The download of my daily (almost) thoughts and ruminations.

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Webs of Steel

I can't look out the dining room window without looking directly through a spider web with a good-sized spider in the middle that is incredibly strong. Think about the last time you tried to break through a spider web when you were watering the plants in your yard or just to walk outside. The bigger the spider, the stronger the web. In fact I've walked through them on the way to work and the silk was so clingy & strong I felt like it was on me all day.

I don't know that I've ever heard what the material is they are actually composed of but it's really quite amazing. If there were spiders the size of humans, I can't imagine how impossible their webs would be to break. Hm, that thought's kind of creeping me out. I guess this is a good pre-Halloween line of thinking.

I wonder if anyone has ever tried to duplicate the texture and strength of that natural substance. I would think it would have numerous uses. But it would take a better scientific mind then mine to try to figure out the chemical composition. Maybe "the Face" will figure it out someday, he seems to have unlimited brain power, he amazes me more everyday. It's very disturbing when your speech is corrected by a 3 year old, especially when he's right.

That's enough of this eight-legged post, I can't imagine how I went on so long about a bug I despise.

1 Comments:

At 10:27 AM, Blogger Robert the Skeptic said...

During WWII spider silk was used to make the cross-hairs on bomb sights. Materials scientists have been studying spider silk for years, for it's small diameter it has a remarkably strong tensile strength. And this remarkable material is manufactured instantly, on demand, from liquids in the spider's abdomen.

As remarkable as these little creatures are, they fall victim to my Dust-Buster whenever I encounter them in the house.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home