Frogs' Legs Aren't Funny

The download of my daily (almost) thoughts and ruminations.

Friday, September 17, 2010

Sad Reversal of Values

(I had a brainstorm when I was in the car a week or two ago so I wrote it all down in my little notebook but I can tell I was all wound up about it because I can hardly read my notes.)

I was commenting on the many aspects of society that have always been considered to be mainstays, crucial to our core beliefs. This thought process touched on all the public services that are adversely impacted when your economic and moral infrastructure breaks down.

We are without:
- Sufficient top quality teachers to provide our kids with a well-rounded, high caliber education all the way through affordable colleges that are more interested in educating all kids then in only focusing on minorities
- Sufficient police to stop gangs and truly discourage crime
- Sufficient DEA staff to stop drug trafficking
- Sufficient prisons & sentences to discourage or maybe even stop repeaters
- A sustainable way to eliminate the proliferation of guns - this is so bad even children are brandishing them around schools - today another headline that a physician in Johns Hopkins Hospital was shot

We have too much of:
- Reality tv (I'm gagging here - enough said)
- Is there a sports figure alive who makes less than $1MM a year? The same question of top actors/actresses. I don't think so. And how much does the president of the United States make? This isn't a political question, I'm talking about any president.

So how often are these sports figures and actors/actresses in the news for spouse abuse, drug abuse, alcohol abuse, cheating, or anything else that is indicative of a lack of moral fiber.

I'm not anywhere near the right side of the wing, I'm just disgusted at the Babylonian breakdown of our values. Because the behaviors these people and tv in general promote are lying, cheating, backstabbing, unhealthy conflict and just a general dearth of morals, period.

That's it, I'm done. I refuse to ruin my Friday night with any more of these painful reflections. Maybe tomorrow there will be some good news.

4 Comments:

At 11:29 AM, Blogger Robert the Skeptic said...

I agree whole-heartedly. Unfortunately a growing number of people believe the Republicans are the ones to come in and restore order. They aren't and they won't, but simple people demand simple answers. I sadly think things must get a whole lot worse before they get better... if that is even possible.

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger The Future said...

I don't know that we are ever going to see the kind of "better" we used to have. I think there will be subtle shades of it in the future, colored by those who don't have the brains or balls to lead but rush to follow anyone who makes alot of sanctimonious noise. There is perceived safety in large numbers of sheep.

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger Jill said...

if you run for President, I will vote for you!

 
At 5:57 PM, Blogger The Future said...

Jill, I think you're assuming I have the answers or the gumption to actually push this agenda up the societal hill. My problem is two-fold. I know where we should be but don't know how to get us there. And I don't really know how to get us there because it is so multi-faceted I can't imagine where to start. I'm depressing myself again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home